[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Wed Oct 17 15:49:29 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 02:11 PM, Paul Brazier wrote:

>> definatlely a no,
>>   no as was connecting the ADSL link to anything other than a single
>> machine which may not be connected to a network.  If you wanted your
>> machine to connect to say the children's pc in their bedroom,
>
> How would they know if you were doing this anyway? Surely masquerading
> makes this invisible from outside?

I don't for sure, I was simply telling them what I wanted which was a
fixed ip address and the legal right to host my own not for profit web
sites from home, they were simply telling me no.

I know there are various ways of finding out these things detecting a
public server is simple enough, detecting a network more difficult OpenBSD
used for the firewall would tip me off to something not quite kosher.
Bandwidth monitoring may reveal inconsistances.  HTTP headers and email
headers may reveal such information though I am not sure how at this point,
  I may look into it.

If I was an evil BT security consultant I would:

1	Search all IPs assigned to ADSL customers for non M$ OSes and
concentrate on those.

2	Check for badly configured Firewalls you don't need to know what is
behind the firewall just that there is something there.

3	Monitor bandwidth usage high usage probably equals network.

4	Monitor email and possibly http header for give away info.

In my case however the dead give away would be during installation, vault
storage arrays in the bedroom, a fridge sized server in the living room
and multiple runs cat five cabling spread through out the flat.

I would say though that BT have better things to do with their time and
resources than. than catch home users breaking their ADSL contract.

Peace Jim

"Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave"
--Frederick Douglass

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk