[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 15:57:55 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Cohen" <richard at vmlinuz.org>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] ADSL recommendations

> <Beep>
> Wrong answer.
> I have the USB ADSL, and I have a single static routed address, which has
> name both within *.fsnet.co.uk and *.vmlinuz.org.  It isn't all that
common,
> but it isn't really hard to do.  There is (I think) at least one ISP which
> will give you a small routed netblock over the USB service...

Someone who used to be on this list (Rob S) had a blueyonder connection and
they didn't change his IP very much at all.  He was able to have sshd
running on the firewall and connected to it from his work machine.  When the
IP address changed the firewall mailed the new IP to a hotmail account so he
knew where to SSH to, but I seem to remember the IP really didn't change
that frequently.

He did have a *really* bad time getting the connection running in the first
place though (dodgy modems/engineers etc), but the service was OK when it
eventually worked.  Added to this the modem they supplied allowed him to
connect the firewall to it via RJ45.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk