[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 16:09:03 UTC 2001

will wrote:

>He did have a *really* bad time getting the connection running in the first
>place though (dodgy modems/engineers etc), but the service was OK when it
>eventually worked.  Added to this the modem they supplied allowed him to
>connect the firewall to it via RJ45.

Don't quote me, but I heard from someone who knows a lot about telecomms,
that there is a new generation of ADSL connections coming Real Soon Now,
where the presentation is just the ADSL socket.
I.E. all this USB shenanigans will be done with,
and you can use your own devices,
such as an ADSL modem card in your PC,
or maybe a nice ADSL router box with built in wireless
(VIGOR 2200W for example). Mmmm.....

Welcome to GLLUG Richard.

And I agree with Tet - finding an old Pentium, or motherboard, with
built in USB
may well be easier than getting bits for the 486.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk