[Gllug] XP Protest (Results)

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Thu Oct 25 15:17:57 UTC 2001

Culprits:

Axel Soggybreath
Matt (one who works with Axel)
Richard Cohen
Steven Lau
and me.

Thought I'd let you know how it went last night with the XP Protest. It
wasn't actually much of a protest since we didn't have any banners etc
(that I could be bothered to stick up). Now if any of you have driven to
Staples Corner you will understand what I mean by we got lost. Driving
around in circles around Brent Park and up and down the northcircular and
any other road that crossed it, we couldn't find the entrace to Staples.
And after a few wrong turns ended up outside PC World which also had a few
people waiting outside.

So we got out the car with out free Mandrake cds and started distributing
them, and surprisingly people were quite pleased to see us. A few comments
from people were "It's really good I've tried it" also added to more peopl
ewanting copies. After about 5 minutes we headed of to find Staples, which
consisted of driving around in more circles till we eventually found it
(being followed by a police car who wondered why we were driving aroun
industrial estates at that time of the night). There was a huge crowd
outside, with photgraphers and TV cameras etc.

We all got out the car armed with cds and started telling people about it
and distributing the cds. The Staples staff were also out in force in the
car park and I could see they weren't too happy. But nevertheless we gave
away cds to everyone and people started asking questions and getting more
curious about it. What I was amazed about is that people generally didn't
know about Linux and when I explained what it was they seemed to get more
interested.

Staples also sold Mandrake in store and Richard and Matt decided to move
the mandrake display to the front of the store :) The photographer also
took lots of pictures of us, since we were the most good looking people
there ;o)

2 People from Microsoft also turned up, they weren't seen afterwards. We
are still wondering what to do with the bodies.

So all in all it was a great success and should be done more in future!

Tushar

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8992 7008     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk