[Gllug] Mail programs

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Oct 12 15:27:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, William Palfreman wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
> > Fetchmail is handy but both Pine and Mutt can connect directly to pop
> > or imap servers and save local copies of what you read there.
>
> I don't think pine can act as a pop3 client.  I know it does imap, but the
> reason I've been using fetchmail is because AFAIK pine does not support
> pop.

Pine certainly can support POP3, but it isn't as good as IMAP4 - and I mean
that in both senses:  IMAP is better than POP, and Pine's IMAP support is
better than Pine's POP3 support.

I haven't actually used POP3 for a few years now.  I know Pine is meant to
be used as an on-line mailer, so the store-and-forward design of POP3
doesn't work particularly well with it...

> Bill.

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk