[Gllug] Linux USB ADSL drivers: how stable?

Nick Hill nickhill at email.com
Fri Oct 12 14:53:33 UTC 2001

There are 2 drivers available. One is the 'official' closed source, binary-only driver, linked from the alcatel website. The other is an open source driver by Benoit Pappilaut.

I have used both. The open source driver is available as an RPM from mandrake. It should work on Mandrake 8.0/ 8.1 without having to patch or re-compile the kernel.

In my experience, the open source driver is better. It is a little more stable than the official version. It seems to have a slightly shorter ping time. You don't need to install a broken version of pppd to use it.

With the open source driver, you do need a copy of a proprietary driver to get a file called alcaudsl.sys which contains the modem firmware. Each time the modem is initialised, the firmware needs to be downloaded to the Speedtouch USB modem.

If you need a persistent connection, I would recommend writing a script, called by cron, to ping a remote host every 10 mins. If the ping fails, re-initialise the modem subsystem.

I have been thinking about putting together a CD which boots, brings up the ADSL modem, sets firewalling rules.

It would need to be used together with a floppy. The floppy would need to contain alcaudsl.sys (which is not 'free'), PPP configuration (chap/pap username, password, vpi/vci) and network card/ firewall configuration. Anyone offering help?

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk