[Gllug] The BBC and Microsoft.

jim jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 13:22:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Steve Goodwin wrote:
> You'd have to store the PC for each task, then copy the instruction and
> execute it (unless it's a jump, in which case you'd emulate it), push
> all the registers & stack pointers back to your own memory area and then
> task switch!

Lord preserve us. The Beeb does have a timer IRQ! Task switching would
still be a pain though as no MMU means only one processor stack, so you'd
have to copy at least part of it each time.

> (there'd also be no supervisor mode on the chip, or memory manager
> making security a problem).

"Problem" is putting it mildly. "Non-existent" is more likely. Though some
of the RAM add-ons let you write-protect their memory, I think.

> Finally, a humanistic point: since there's no network (as standard) on
> either machine, you'd need a much larger keyboard :)

Serial port. User port. 1MHz bus. TUBE.

jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
"... I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk