[Gllug] The BBC and Microsoft.

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 20:59:43 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk gibbered:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Steve Goodwin wrote:
>> (there'd also be no supervisor mode on the chip, or memory manager
>> making security a problem).
>
> "Problem" is putting it mildly. "Non-existent" is more likely. Though some
> of the RAM add-ons let you write-protect their memory, I think.

Nah, you do it by emulating a BBC on the BBC --- or, for preference,
defining your own bytecode-like language, rebuilding your programs to
use that, and running that. Then you can optimize the bytecodes for
interpretation speed as well as merely the interpreter :)

--
`You're the only person I know who can't tell the difference
 between a pair of trousers and a desk.' --- Kieran, to me

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk