[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Wed Oct 10 16:54:58 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 17:37, Jon Masters wrote:
> BT are fairly OK with things as I hear however they also don't guarantee
> to keep your IP static or a number of other things, which when combined
> with it being BT was enough for me not to use their service.

Our dyndns timed out recently - we'd had the same IP for two months, and
they assumed we'd stopped using the account.  :)  I think a consensus is
that if you register an IPv6 block with BT on your ADSL line, they make
your IP static.  Either that, or they just moved to static for everyone
a few months back.

> Richard said something about getting routed netblocks on USB ADSL - in
> which case I'd really *love* to know who told him that because I was
> turned down by every ISP I asked for that. It was hard enough to find
> one (mailbox) who would do handy stuff like whatever reverse DNS I
> wanted and generally have cool people working for them like Amber (a
> really nice account manager) and James (who has now left technical).

D'oh.  I'd really, really like a reverse dns allocation on our BT line.

Ho hum.

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk