[Gllug] Spoofing?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Oct 13 17:09:10 UTC 2001

On Saturday 13 October 2001 17:48, you wrote:
> > I use this account only to talk to a few friends and the GLLUG list.
> > I have just received four emails from people on the GLLUG membership
> I don't believe this list restricts posting to non-members, or has any
> other anti-spam measures.
>
> I suspect someone is just sending spam to the list, they aren't
> "masquerading" at all.

Weird - I haven't got any from the list (unless I have some involuntary
eye-closing mechanism when spam appears - possible :). I don't have any
filtering in place either (as a rule, I don't get any anyway) - although, my
ISP probably does to an extent (ORBZ, I think). They also charge people for
sending UCE from their mail servers at a rate of £1000/recipient, IIRC.

The copy Stig sent to the list seemed to be addressed to gllug at list.ftech.net
rather than gllug at linux.co.uk though, perhaps that may be the reason.
Although, that was someone called "Paper Chain Technology" who seemed to be
very much UK, and not .cn or whatever it was.

Cheers,
			Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk