[Gllug] Spoofing?

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 16:48:46 UTC 2001

* John (John at sinoda.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> What do I do?
> I use this account only to talk to a few friends and the GLLUG list.
> I have just received four emails from people on the GLLUG membership
> list and one from myself all spam.
> The reply address end .cn
> What should I do ?

I don't believe this list restricts posting to non-members, or has any
other anti-spam measures.

I suspect someone is just sending spam to the list, they aren't
"masquerading" at all.

If that's the case then anyone can send anything they like to the list
and it will send it to the members - nothing you can do about this but
persuade the list maintainer to only accept mails from members.

Be aware that even then, a determined spammer can just subscribe to the
list first :)

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |