[Gllug] Some network queries

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Mon Oct 15 15:15:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:17:57PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:

> On Monday, October 15, 2001, at 09:56 AM, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>

> >> Yes always have a non root user for remote connections via SSH you should
> >> not connect remotely to a machine as root.
> >
> > True, but it doesn't have to be a local user (which is what the original
> > question asked).
> >
> >> Also unless there is a very good reason for the users to have a shell
> >> account on the server change their shell to /bin/true which will
> >> allow them ftp only accounts.
> >
> > If you've set up your box for SSH, why leave FTP enabled? Kind of
> > defeats the point somewhat.
>
> You are right but most of our users and clients need and have ftp to
> upload files yes I know SSH is better but it doesn't have any graphical
> clients for  Mac and our designers and clients are not command line
> competent.  One day someone, maybe ourselves will write a graphical mac
> SSH client.

Hmmm, have you considered webdav over ssl.  Install apache +
(apache-|mod_)ssl and mod_dav

OS 10.1 has idisk which is a dav client, there is also Goliath
http://www.webdav.org/goliath/ but this doesn't seem to support ssl.
There are some certificate exchange issues by the look.

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk