[Gllug] Ximain/GNOME strangeness

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Mon Oct 15 15:23:40 UTC 2001

[15-Oct-2001 16:07.59 (BST) / John Hearns]
 > It seems to have gone off its trolley today.
 > On startup, it is claiming that the window manager which is running is
 > not Gnome compliant, then when it does start up I get a very weird
 > behaviour -
 > ie. all windows are fixe size, stuck in the top left hand corner.
 > Seems to me there is no window manager running.

That's exactly what's going on. The pager & applist dock apps check for a
gnome-compliant window manager, and when they don't find one, stop running.
The rest of gnome runs, however.

Just go through the gnome menus and start gnome control panel - select a
window manager from the window manager tab and remember to save session. It
may be that one wm that was running has recently changed location (like,
from /usr/bin to /usr/X11R6/bin) and you just need to reselect it from the
control panel.

If the problem persists, there's something afoot.

--
* only the good die young. the rest are forced to code perl for eternity *

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk