[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Oct 17 14:26:13 UTC 2001

I think you may have missed the point of Jakob Neilsen's work. User
interface is closely related to appearance (esp. in a GUI). Emacs - while it
actually has a GUI (or can) - can hardly be said to be attractive (yes,
that's a part of a 'good' GUI) nor could its help system be regarded as
intuitive, nor are most of its user-space features easy to find.

I could go on but I'll spare you more. The point is that emacs is actually a
great example of a bad interface, and the fact that it is the oldest
GNU/free software and it still has such an appalling interface only serves
to prove Nielsen's point.

I'm toying with ideas for how to leverage old/command-line/other UNIX style
tools into a 'good' UI (with no smaller task than providing a common UI for
Linux - the stumbling block for Linux at the desktop IMHO) and one of the
things I can't get my head around is how to make a solid UI which does
innovate beyond pretty windows. It's just not one of the things that I'm
good at.

My idea is strictly vapour at the moment.

Bottom line: Nielsen may not be right about the future; but he's certainly
learned from the past.

Richard