[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 16:59:31 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 17 Oct 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
>> Well, quite. But Alex Hudson seems to think that a text based screen
>> mode UI is a GUI, which it ain't.
>Surely the point of a GUI is that it adds an extra spatial dimension for
>the user.
>So with "ed" or at the bash prompt you can just go forwards or backwards
>but with vi or any curses-type program you can also go up or down *on
>the same screen*.

Um, that's - roughly - the difference between screen-mode and
line-mode. If anything, GUIs traditionally add a third dimension (but,
of course, 'screen' or virtual consoles create a similar effect.)

Now some of these distinctions may be more interesting to talk about,
but we shouldn't misuse 'GUI' to mean the set of interfaces on one
side of one of those distinctions.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk