[Gllug] updating red hat

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 15:02:58 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:19:12PM +0000, Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:

> Red Hat never shipped a broken gcc, what we did, for RH7 only, was to ship
> a gcc which was newer than the kernel packages needed.

The way I understood it was:

s/needed/would compile with at all

Which might have been OK (i.e., you could have said it was the
kernel's fault), if not for the fact that that particular version of
gcc did not exist in any official release and was obtained through a
nightly snapshot of a development tree.

So I dunno, if the above is true then it seems to be splitting hairs
a bit to say it wasn't a broken gcc.

Not too much of a dig, since I am a Red Hat user myself and the
incident did not compel me to switch.

--
"SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three terminations: One at
 each end of the chain. And the goat."