[Gllug] updating red hat

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 15:52:51 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Andy Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:19:12PM +0000, Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:
>
> > Red Hat never shipped a broken gcc, what we did, for RH7 only, was to ship
> > a gcc which was newer than the kernel packages needed.
>
> The way I understood it was:
>
> s/needed/would compile with at all

That is what need means (amongst other things).  Required, if you want.
Ie. it would not compile without it.  Kernels are not written by Red Hat,
we cannot control what compilers they need (nor would we want to, we're
not after a monopoly after all).

> Which might have been OK (i.e., you could have said it was the
> kernel's fault), if not for the fact that that particular version of
> gcc did not exist in any official release and was obtained through a
> nightly snapshot of a development tree.

It was discussed with developers at kernel.org, however I have no problem
seeing that people did not understand our decition of doing what we did,
nor do I have a problem with people claiming it was a problem.  What I
_do_ object to is that people call it broken, as we compiled kernels to
our hearts content over here, on a weekly basis.

> So I dunno, if the above is true then it seems to be splitting hairs
> a bit to say it wasn't a broken gcc.

Well, how can it be broken, if it worked?  Might be that I am Norwegian, I
thought broken meant fractured, damaged.  The compiler was clearly
functional, it would have compiled the kernel, if the kernel had been
updated for that version.  But I might have a faulty definition of the
word.

Personally (and I am _not_ speaking as a Red Hat person right now, but as
me, a user of Red Hat Linux), I feel it was a bad choice, but it is water
under the bridge, it is "broken" no more :)

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +441483734926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +441483734956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk