[Gllug] Nothing Simple

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Oct 31 17:54:02 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 04:09:07PM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> Heres the deal. I can now get into XWindows after altering xinitrc in the
> root directory. I have not tried Gnome as I suspect it will throw a wobbly
> again. The mouse has definitely gone tits up and decides that the top right
> hand side of the screen is the place for it to be, permanent! piss off,

Harry, is it a wheel mouse, or a normal mouse? They use different
drivers in X --- pick the wrong one and the pointer will meander
around to its hearts content at the gentlest of nudges. As ever, I
can't remember what the driver is called. Hmph!

The other thing that springs to mind is to ask whether gdm is running,
cos I've had odd interactions between that and X before.

Also ctl-alt-backspace is a handy shortcut for killing X (though you
know this already, I suspect)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"We were informed that the user interface was exactly the same as being at
 the desktop, but using our visual senses we detected a somewhat different

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk