[Gllug] Demon ISDN Dialup

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demnospamon.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 14:47:12 UTC 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:06:33 +0100, you wrote:

~> I'm using demon dial-up (premier connect - the surftime thing)
~>
~> I've had a few problems this week, mail running a bit slow, short
~> periods of inactive connection ..
~>
~> but apart from that service has been great, failed
~> connections are very
~> rare and speed is always good.
~
~I'm on this too and have had loads of problems over the weekend - with
~DNS intermittently not working (not sure this is Demon's fault or not -
~I'm using a caching nameserver that I think bypasses Demon's DNS
~servers). Also I had periods where the ppp would repeatedly "die
~unexpectedly" a few seconds after connecting. The /var/log/messages
~indicated some sort of failure to confirm the connection - possibly this
~was to do with their maintenance.

There were a lot of errors reported in their net this weekend... I
have http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/status/status2.shtml  bookmarked.
They dropped out again this morning about 9am, so I logged on using
Freeserve and checked!

On the whole, I like the service and that I can phone up for a
reasonable cost and get a clued up person on the helpdesk who doesn't
have to go through a list of stock questions first. I do wish they'd
get webmail that will send, though!
(Their spam investigating and crackdown policy is pretty good too)

(For reference, I use the slightly cheaper than normal but still costs
0844 number at work, and the surftime 0844 at home, and on the latter
I've managed to stay online, un-thrown off for over 36 hours while
downloading Solaris 8 with a 33.6 modem!!!)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk