[Gllug] Demon ISDN Dialup

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 16:04:45 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:47:12PM +0000, jane taylor wrote:

> There were a lot of errors reported in their net this weekend... I
> have http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/status/status2.shtml  bookmarked.
> They dropped out again this morning about 9am, so I logged on using
> Freeserve and checked!
>
> On the whole, I like the service and that I can phone up for a
> reasonable cost and get a clued up person on the helpdesk who doesn't
> have to go through a list of stock questions first. I do wish they'd
> get webmail that will send, though!
> (Their spam investigating and crackdown policy is pretty good too)

<RANT TOPIC="Demon">

The chances of finding a clue in Demon are getting very low. To quote one of
their ADSL helpdesk support people on being informed of a routing problem:
"You will have to email a copy of the traceroute, otherwise our network
engineers will not believe you."

The output of the traceroute was "Destination host unreachable", and how
does one send email if you can not route through to the mail servers ?
They would not even type the error message in over the phone.

As for the idea of having to have a second free internet connection with
another company as a backup to the first connection which you pay money for
that is ridiculous. Why pay the money in the first place ?

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk