[Gllug] StarOffice

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 15:29:44 UTC 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Paul Brazier gibbered:
> You can use the "file" command to get the type of a file.
> Apparently it uses some kind of heuristics to work out if it's an
> executable, text, picture, movie, shell script etc.

`Apparently'? The man page repeatedly states it!

Further, the magic number heuristics are programmable; see
/usr/share/magic (which has a man page of its own).

> So you could I suppose call your shell scripts *.txt or *.jpeg and
> programs should still know what they really are.

This is why extensions are not widely used on Unix boxes; file(1) is
better.

--
`You're the only person I know who can't tell the difference
 between a pair of trousers and a desk.' --- Kieran, to me

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk