[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Fri Oct 5 10:02:48 UTC 2001

Hi,

I've had both experience of Mr Morrell and the product itself and I
certainly agree with all of this, apart from perhaps the doubts about its
security. If it is set up sensibly it is essentially as secure as Linux can
be (which is pretty secure IMO) and it is an extremely useable and easy to
configure product., and you have the ability/knowledge to double check
improve any aspect of course once you're running it.

I went on the chaps Java IRC page on the web site and flame baited him a
little by saying "surely closed source firewalls are more secure" and all
the usual crap that mis-informed people come out with. Rather than make any
attempt to educate me or explain why I was wrong, his reaction was to swear
at me, call me names and ban me from the channel.

I found it a little upsetting because if I had genuinely believed what I
was typing, and had this reaction, I would hardly be going to change my
mind about the benefits of Open Source etc.

It's also a shame that what really probably is the best product of its
kind, has this underlying ethos to it. But it is stated to be GPL and the
source code is now available, so someone should just tweak it and rename it
and start up a more sane development team! (ouch, forking...now that's
another whole subject)

Jake.

--On 05 October 2001 09:47 +0000
--Bruce Richardson apparently said about the subject "Re: [Gllug] Opinions

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk