[Gllug] web server specs

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 11:12:21 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: RE: [Gllug] web server specs

>By this do you mean memory and disk access time is more important than
>say processor and bandwidth?

Well bandwidth is somewhat useful, but possibly a separate-ish issue from
the server hardware.  You will have to balance your budget somehow though.

>We though about RAID but it adds complications (plus cost) that might be
>too much - would it be software or hardware?
>Would the RAID be to improve disk access time or for data redundancy in
>case of disk failure?

Software raid should be a doddle and would really be for redundancy.  You
could get away with the one disk but I wouldn't want to risk it, even though
personally I have never had a disk die.

>Does debian potato have raid support as standard or does it involve
>heavy-duty kernel recompilations and stuff?

What is this Debian thing people keep talking about? (ie. I don't know).

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk