[Gllug] web server specs

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 11:38:58 UTC 2001

 --- Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote: > On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:56:39AM
+0100, Walid wrote:
> >  --- Paul Brazier <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote: > I'm looking into
> > co-located web servers on a fairly low budget.
> > >
> > > Would a PIII with say 256M RAM and a 20GB HD be the sort of thing? Or
> > > overkill?
> > > With just a CD drive, floppy drive and an ethernet card?
> >
> > I would add a Dat-tape for data-backups,
>
> Actually, I would specifically exclude the DAT drive, the last thing I want
> from a colo is a need to keep on visiting it for tape changes :-)
>
> Instead, identify carefully the changeable data on the machine **that is
> not already sourced from elsewhere** and back that up over the network.
>
> For example, your web pages don't need backing up (hopefully they come
> from a developer's machine in your existing networks). Probably the only
> things you want are the system start-up files and config stuff from etc.
> Being text, these should be easily backed up over the net (easy to
> compress). Everything else (OS and apps) should be easy to rebuild
> automatically (or at least by written-down processes).

I would agree to that too as long as it does not conflict with your bandwidth,
and client requirments.. and add to the backup the log files.
It always helps if you have a ready image of your system just in case you need
a quick recovery, be it another harddisk, dat tape,or a CD; what ever suits
you!

> -jim (don't do what I do, do what I say!)
>
> --

=====

walid at melinux.com
http://www.MeLinux.com

"Learn whatever knowledge you wish to acquire, and act upon what you have learned."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk