[Gllug] wvdial, suse 7.3 pro and usb modems

Peter John Cameron peterca at ukgateway.net
Mon Oct 22 17:07:14 UTC 2001

I have a problem with Suse 7.3 Professional and my USB modem. I installed
7.3 on a new disk today and was impressd with how smoothly everything went
e.g. scanner works, CD writer works, UDMA drives are recognised and correct
sizes obtained (my previous linux was 7.0 pro).

However, I cannot get my USB modem to work at all. Linux can find it, but
Yast2 needs two passes as it were to recognise it (Yast1 gets it on the
first go). Once recognised, I configure my ISP, and try wvdial from the
command line. I get:

"Cannot open /dev/modem: Invalid argument"

or (depending on my hacking attempts)

"Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Invalid argument"

kinternet also reports this in its log file.

I've tried removing the modem and reconfiguring with Yast1 and Yast2, all to
no avail. Trying my old wvdial.conf from 7.0 also produces the above errors.
/dev/modem correctly points to /dev/ttyACM0, as it did with 7.0.

What's going on? What am I missing?

Cheers,
Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk