[Gllug] can't ping.

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 16:02:29 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 2:20 PM
Subject: RE: [Gllug] can't ping.

>> I have just set up my modem in SuSE Linux (I was surprised at
>> how easy it
>> was).  I can do stuff like use HTTP using the web browsers
>> provided, but
>> doing a ping or traceroute does not work for some reason.  Is
>> there any
>> particular reason for this?  I guess I have to specify the
>> interface to ping
>> using? I also have a network card in the machine that isn't
>> used at the
>> moment I guess that might make a difference.

>Can you ping yourself OK ie. "ping 127.0.0.1"?
>If you can browse the web OK you must be using DNS etc fine.
>Can you ping the other end of your ppp link by IP address? (got from
>/sbin/ifconfig)
>Maybe Suse has a built-in firewall that's blocking pings?
>I don't think you have to specify an interface: "ping www.google.com"
>works fine for me.

I will have to try pinging myself tonight.  Please no-one quote me on that
though...

I will have to try pinging the other side of the ppp link (demon) but I have
a suspicion that it might be a personal firewall.  Could it be due to the
network card I have installed in the machine aswell as the modem?

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk