[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Oct 25 15:39:15 UTC 2001

On Thursday 25 October 2001 3:29 pm, you wrote:
> > Yup RC4
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q278/6/79.asp
>
> I've realised where the confusion on my part came from:
> <snip>

You appear to be still confused. In short, regional settings have _nothing to
do with it_, unless you live in France. This is bog all to do with export
laws.

Fact: Word/Excel documents since '97 (except Access, which was from version
2.0) support symmetric RC4 encryption.
Fact: you can't just 'ignore' it.
Fact: I can do it from the English copy of Office I have on my desktop, which
is set to UK regional settings, BST time and all the rest.

The page you looked at explains why Microsoft couldn't _import_ this into
France.

Just to give you something to flame me for: "Office is an industry standard,
and didn't get there by being insecure".

Cheers,
					Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk