[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Oct 25 15:54:36 UTC 2001

>Just to give you something to flame me for: "Office is an industry standard,
>and didn't get there by being insecure".

Flamethrower on :-)

Yes, it's an industry standard, and it got there *despite* being insecure
(note that I'm not claiming it still is, just that it was in the past).

The fact is that users don't care about security, and even those that
do aren't aware of the technical issues behind security. This is true
*throughout* the industry, even in places you'd expect to be more clued
up about it (the financial sector immediately springs to mind).

All the average user knows is that when they put a password on a file,
then the other average user to which they send it is stuck without the
password.

Office got to be an industry standard by being "good enough",not by
being good. If 99.9% of its users can't break its security (and that's
probably underestimating the true situation by quite a margin), then
people will use it.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk