[Gllug] NT Embedded?

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Thu Oct 25 16:38:41 UTC 2001

ok so http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/nt/default.asp
has a picture of a massive manned US Navy sub with the headline
"Largest Unmanned Submarine in the World Powered by Windows NT Embedded"

So we click on the link and we find
"The team that developed a critical battery-monitoring system for the
U.S. Navy's unmanned autonomous research submarine, chose the Microsoft®
Windows NT® Embedded operating system"

So NT runs the batteries. Wow. It was chosen because "...Microsoft Windows
NT Embedded because it supports diskless operation and provides a wide range
of capabilities." Just like every other Embedded OS then.

Then we find the LSV2 looks nothing like the picture on the M$ site:
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lsv.html

Then we find that SGI had a slightly larger role than monitoring the
batteries: http://www.thic.org/pdf/Oct00/nswccd_jkey_001003.pdf

And how do they get the data off the machine? NetMeeting!

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com fractalus.com/steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk