[Gllug] Fight! Fight! Fight!

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Oct 11 15:47:56 UTC 2001

On Thu 11 Oct, Adam Bower made the following spurious claims:

> I wouldn't describe windows as having a consistent user interface, M$ move
> things between different versions of windows and I thought the USP of
> Windows XP is the new themeable desktop.

Absolutely!  Their own behaviour flaunts their own usability
guidelines.  Case in point, install Office and see it pointedly NOT
create an MS Office folder to store the shortcuts to the applications
in your Start menu.  Or the Win98 installer that, after unchecking
Online Services and Outlook Express goes ahead and installs them
anyway.  This encourages other developers to also consider their own
applications special enough to ignore the UI guidelines.

> I have never seen any problem giving Linux desktops to anyone, the main
> problem is (as ever) M$ office file format compatability.

It would be a very easy task to unify the UI for a small number of
common desktop apps: email, word processor, spreadsheet, browser.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk