[Gllug] Demon ISDN Dialup

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 18:42:21 UTC 2001

jane taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:06:33 +0100, you wrote:
>
> ~> I'm using demon dial-up (premier connect - the surftime thing)
> ~>
> ~> I've had a few problems this week, mail running a bit slow, short
> ~> periods of inactive connection ..
> ~>
> ~> but apart from that service has been great, failed
> ~> connections are very
> ~> rare and speed is always good.
> ~
> ~I'm on this too and have had loads of problems over the weekend - with
> ~DNS intermittently not working (not sure this is Demon's fault or not -
> ~I'm using a caching nameserver that I think bypasses Demon's DNS
> ~servers). Also I had periods where the ppp would repeatedly "die
> ~unexpectedly" a few seconds after connecting. The /var/log/messages
> ~indicated some sort of failure to confirm the connection - possibly this
> ~was to do with their maintenance.
>
> There were a lot of errors reported in their net this weekend... I
> have http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/status/status2.shtml  bookmarked.
> They dropped out again this morning about 9am, so I logged on using
> Freeserve and checked!

They had PAP authentication failures for much of yesterday
afternoon/evening. There was nothing about it on status (I dialled in to
work and checked the web page) but the new recorded message on the voice
help line admitted to it. This would account for your ppp "dying
unexpectedly". I4l is rather more informative.

> On the whole, I like the service and that I can phone up for a
> reasonable cost and get a clued up person on the helpdesk who doesn't
> have to go through a list of stock questions first. I do wish they'd
> get webmail that will send, though!
> (Their spam investigating and crackdown policy is pretty good too)

They accused my Linux machine of being infected with Nimda the other
day. To be fair, when I asked them to check and send me the evidence,
they did apologise. I guess I prefer that they do chase up virus
complaints and get some false positives than not bother which is what
most ISPs seem to do.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk