[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Thu Oct 25 15:58:18 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 04:39:15PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Fact: Word/Excel documents since '97 (except Access, which was from version
> 2.0) support symmetric RC4 encryption.
> Fact: you can't just 'ignore' it.

Well you don't have to use it :)  Plus it's probably weaker than gpg/pgp
encrypting important documents.

> Fact: I can do it from the English copy of Office I have on my desktop, which
> is set to UK regional settings, BST time and all the rest.
>
> The page you looked at explains why Microsoft couldn't _import_ this into
> France.

Umm, out of interest does this still hold.  I *thought* that the French
encryption laws had been relaxed recently.

http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm has some details...

> Just to give you something to flame me for: "Office is an industry standard,
> and didn't get there by being insecure".

Just like RC4 is an industry standard which didn't get where it is by
being used inappropriately...

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk