[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 15:55:04 UTC 2001

> Just to give you something to flame me for: "Office is an industry standard,
> and didn't get there by being insecure".
>
> Cheers,
> 					Alex.

I think that it is insecure on a user level.

Most people barely know how to use a word processor, many believe that
if they password a word document then it is secure.

It may be possible to encrypt excel documents; however the majority of
the people using Excel will consider a password sufficient (Which as has
been previously mentioned is totally ignored by Star Office).

Even when they do choose to encrypt the files the password they will
choose to lock the file is normally girlfriend/wife/cat/DOB/arsenel1.

I believe that it is insecure in that there is no advice given when you
choose to password a document - this is compared to the help you get
when doing other tasks: "It looks like you are writing a letter......."
:-)

I think that office got where is is today through lethargy and
ignorance.

Troll 1  Xander 0
Dundee 3 Partick Thistle 0

Cheers