[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 15:59:44 UTC 2001

> >>that in my first email I said that they suck :) Take the Word
> >>toolbar though - would you prefer "Bold" or "B"? Would you prefer
> >> "right-justify" to the
> >>bars icon?
> >
> >I think one could reasonably have a single button that displayed the
> >current justification (as text) and either ran through them if clicked
> >or popped up a menu if clicked and held. The advantage would be that
> >more complex justification schemes could be described.
> BAD, BAD, BAD!
> If I was to look at such a button for the first time I wouldn't know wether
> it meant that what was displayed was the current justification scheme or
> the one I was going to get if I clicked it.
>
> It's the same as having a button that starts and stops some processing and
> having it red or green depending on whether the processing was running or
> not. Should it be green to mean "Running" or green to mean "Start running"!

I have come to the conclusion after 10 years of bashing my way though
wysiwyg interfaces that I really prefer tex, or even html over any
wysiwyg based document editor.

Mainly similar to the Perl Way[1], Microsoft Word is the least friendly
piece of software I have had to use and support users on (followed by Excel).
wysuwyg editors lack (internal,gui,menu) consistancy.

My daily desktop[2] consists of a dozen xterms, and a copy of
netscape or mozilla. and I Alt-Tab through a menu list of open
apps and a menu of apps to open

The thing about the GUI desktop is that, is appears that it has
no changed since 1995 when I first heard the Linux community
complaining about the same thing...

They gave us FVWM .... =( its all gone down hill since then.
Simple is better. Give me a command line =)

Packages like SGML have become more popular as GUI's have
gotten worse... WYSIWYG is a false gain IMHO.

[1] - there should be more than one way to do things
[2] - window manager is flwm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk