[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 16:11:03 UTC 2001

> Packages like SGML have become more popular as GUI's have
> gotten worse... WYSIWYG is a false gain IMHO.

I think both have their place.

For example, trying to edit a bitmap picture without wysiwyg would be a
nightmare: thus the need for the GIMP.

But on the other hand, using a GIMP-type program to resize and clip a
whole directory of images would be equally problematic. (though perhaps
there is some scripting language built-in that can do this, I'm not
sure). Thus the need for ImageMagick-type tools (commandline image
editing).

My original post before we got lost in a semantic maze was the idea to
separate out the core functionality (doing the job) from the UI (making
doing/learning the job easier) so the same code could be easily used for
both the command line and whatever GUI you fancy.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk