[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Oct 18 15:15:18 UTC 2001

On Thursday 18 October 2001 3:10 pm, you wrote:
> >Not bash. Check out fbi, for example.
>
> That's a command-line tool that produces graphics. I don't know if you
> can interact with the results, but if so I'd say it produces a GUI

And I'd probably agree. It's clear, though, that we're not going to agree on
GUIness being a set of paradigms, rather than an enfironment :)

> I think one could reasonably have a single button that displayed the
> current justification (as text) and either ran through them if clicked
> or popped up a menu if clicked and held.

Yep, that is a valid scheme. I would suspect it would require more
concentration though - you can actually treat icons more or less as single
letters, in a way - when interacting with an interface, humans don't actually
'read' the words on it per se, it's a shape thing. Good icons tend to be very
simple but obvious shapes, and hence are 'read' very quickly, which is one of
the reasons they work so well.

KMail has some exceptionally bad icons: the reply, reply-all and forward
icons are terrible, because even though looking at it you'd be able to tell
very quickly what they do, you need to really 'parse' them conciously before
pressing one, even when used to the software. Similarly, words which are
all-caps are hard to read, and bunches of similar words are hard to read. Bad
icons tend to be a) hard to work out and/or b) hard to use in practice (ie.,
they slow you down). As I said, I'm not an apologist for bad UIs.

> The advantage would be that
> more complex justification schemes could be described.

Which is generally where it's used - long lists, etc. I would say the
justification group is unlikely to expand beyond three any time soon, which I
would say is why it is done this way - you can also immediately see what
options you have open to you. I seem to recall a pretty good paper on simple
editing tools which did proper testing on different variations on the current
scheme, and it turns out what we have at the moment is pretty much perfect,
even taking into account user training.

Cheers,
					Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk