[Gllug] Mail programs

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Oct 12 11:49:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >> - handles bulk forwarding well
> >
> >Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it's pretty easy in Pine to
> >(for example) select all mails from a certain person and forward them as a
> >single large MIME digest, or with all the mails in the body of a single text
> >mail.
>
> No, this is what I don't want. It's how exmh does it currently for example.
> What I want is to be able to say "forward everything I received from Richard
> between May and August this year to Bob", and have each message individually
> forwarded as a separate messages. But unlike Balsa, I don't want to have to
> add a forwarding address and explicitly send each one.

Ah okay.  Can do with Pine.

Using the (b)ounce command rather than the (f)orward command will do this -
it means you'll get the original headers, plus a collection of Resent-
headers (Resent-Date, Resent-From, Resent-To, Resent-Subject) added on to
each one.  You'd have to specify your search parameters one by one as "from
Richard" AND "before September" AND "after (the start of) May", since the
Pine selection works on one boundary at once.  That do you?

> For various reasons, I find myself doing this far more often than I'd like
> to have to.

I tend to use forward (all in one message) more often, which is why I didn't
think about bounce first.  I find it's nicer to send one big message - and
if you use the MIME digest, Pine (at least) can show you each individual
message separately, and you can reply to them, etc. without breaking up the
digest.  It's a nice feature.

> Tet

Cheers
Richard