[Gllug] Mail programs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 12 12:29:40 UTC 2001

On 10/12/01, 12:49:45 PM, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Mail programs:

> I moved to mutt recently, very steep learning curve - I thought at first
> I'd just configure it and away I'd go but first I had to learn all about
> fetchmail/sendmail/procmail etc.

Traditional Unix mail clients like Mutt and Pine don't see local mail
delivery as part of their job.  Their job is to read the mail that has
been delivered.  The developers of such clients don't see a priority (or
a need at all) to re-implement procmail or whatever local delivery agent
you use.  This is a plus, not a minus.  Because these clients work with
standard Unix mail folders, you can switch from one mail client to
another without losing any mail and without having to export/import it
into a different format.  And without having to write a whole new set of
mail-processing rules.

That said, I think you're overstating it a bit.  Procmail, yes, you need
that (or an equivalent app) for mail filtering.  Fetchmail is handy but
both Pine and Mutt can connect directly to pop or imap servers and save
local copies of what you read there.  Sendmail?  OK, they don't queue
mail but expect there to be a mail-server but most distributions come
with at least one brain-dead-point-me-at-your-isp mail server package.

> It does seem rather baffling at first
> but I'm slowly getting there and I can see it will be very powerful. I
> guess it falls inbetween an all-inclusive package like Evolution and a
> library of mail components that you glue together yourself.

The idea, basic to Unix, is that applications don't needlessly duplicate
functions.  Lots of small apps that do their jobs well and don't try to
do jobs that should be done by other apps.  So Mutt, Pine, Elm etc read
your mail and let you write mail but don't waste time with delivery (in
or out).

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk