[Gllug] Underclocking an Athlon

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 12:30:26 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Nick Hill wrote:

> I would be pretty surprised if my processor fan fell off even if I threw my machine out of my upstairs window.

I think the heatsink falling off is a complete improbability, but the fan
failing is a distinct possibility.

I once did something very dumb wrt processor fans :-) I was overclocking
my Celeron 433 and decided to monitor the heatsink temp, I put the
thermistor in the blades of the heatsink. When I booted the machine
and started loading it up with Quake and distributed.net and saw the temp
rise very high very quickly, I immediatly shutdown the box only to
discover that I had been dumb and of course had stuck the thermistor in
the heatsink so it stopped the fan from rotating!!

Now I think a test of Athlons with heatsinks but no fan would be a better
indicator of how likely they are to survive a fan failure.

Adam
--
This message is Copyleft - all rights reversed
Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk