[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at online.no
Thu Oct 11 00:12:30 UTC 2001

* Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> spake thus:
> Hi,
>
> [ excuse lack of suitable threading headers due to how this was sent ]
>
> Richard Cottrill wrote:
>
> > This is my inaugural posting to the GLLUG list so please excuse me if
> > this seems a bit off-topic.
>
> Nah, not OT. btw, hi :)
>
> > I'm just getting hooked up to ADSL with BT and I'm planning to put
> > together a smoothwall router/firewall for the link using an old
> > 486DX2/66 that's kindly being given to me by a colleague.
>
> Sounds good - except like others, I'd suggest just getting a pentium
> motheboard with USB onboard - I hate USB but I suppose when it's the
> bringer of mucho fasto internet access it's better than nothing :)
>
> Has everyone seen that slashdot story about community 100Mbit fibre in
> Sweden? It's enough to make you sick that we'll never get that here...

There is a company in Norway (maybe the one you are talking about
working over the borders) called "the Broadband Fabric". They, AFAIK,
deliver broadband internet to blocks of flats, and everywhere else where
they deem it cost-effective to put down a high-speed cable.

I must say, I hardly see anyone bragging of ISDN her in this country,
although I don't think I know anyone back home that doesn't have it. I
think Norway/Sweden are a bit more on the edge communicatively. Or so it
seems to me at least. YMMV.

Regards,
Stig

--