[Gllug] Debian 2.2r3 Fun....

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Oct 4 15:01:43 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:47:19PM +0100, Roberto D'Amico wrote:

> I edited the XF86Config file and set it to us a PS/2 mouse on /dev/psaux. I
> then ran startx, it loaded up fine but my mouse was jumping about all over
> the place. The mouse I'm using is a Razor Boomslang USB with a USB-2-PS/2
> adapter.  This is not my main problem. I'm sure I can fix that, but when I
> installed I'd forgotten that I'd selected to use xdm! So now whenever I
> start the system up it boot straight in X/WindowMaker and I can't get out of
> it.

Does the mouse have a mouse wheel? They have a slightly different
driver, FWIW. Can't remember which one it is, but I think that one of
the more on the ball people here will be able to tell you.

> Is there any control sequence to terminate a current x session?

*ahem* Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or any of the function 1-6, normally. X lives on
the 7th VT)

> Can I interrupt the boot sequence before it starts xdm?

Or boot up into another run level, which doesn't start X
automatically? At your (assuming) LILO prompt:

linux 1

should work (on my Debian box, kdm kindly starts in all other run
levels. Hmph! Time to change that, methinks)

Cheers,

Simon

--
A Law of Computer Programming:
	Make it possible for programmers to write in English

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk