[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri Oct 19 01:36:06 UTC 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Kieran Barry wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
> > Consider this - it's effective for an ISP to use a transparent proxy as
> > it saves them on bandwidth costs. If the government starts requiring
> > that ISP's keep 7 years of traffic data, as has been suggested, what
> > will be more cost effective - junking the proxy and buying more
> > bandwidth, or buying the hardware and storage to keep the logs in an
> > appropriately secure manner?
> >
> Could you make the point more clearly? Forgive, but I can't see the
> connection....

I can.  The government's latest insane pig-in-the-comms-room is that
every ISP keep every single bit of email, logs, all recorded traffic, for
7 years, else your friendly sysadmin is jailed.  With no proxy there are
many fewer records to keep.  If you really have enough cash you could buy
a couple of satellite links to a third country, and keep all your servers
there.  No UK based servers = no logs[0], and no prison sentences for us
all just because a fire took out 4 year old tapes.

Bill.

[0] Switch off your router and switch logs too :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk