[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 18 12:46:09 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 18 Oct 2001, Alex Hudson wrote:
>On Thursday 18 October 2001 12:16 pm, you wrote:
>>>Go look up the old Boing systems, and anything that used a vector display
>>>(particularly CAD systems).
>>Which are probably GUIs by my definition (and, hint, that used by the
>>rest of the world) too. What's your point?
>I wasn't arguing they weren't GUIs, I was telling you why I said 'graphs' and
>not 'graphics'. The concept of a graphic on a vector display is strange;

I don't find the concept of graphics on a vector display strange at
all. What did the original Spacewar display, if not graphics?

>>Yes. As I say, it's a marginal and not very interesting distinction
>>here; and I would hesitate to describe lynx under X as providing a GUI
>>simply because it's getting the pointer from X; but the pointer,
>>itself, is part of the X GUI.
>I didn't say anywhere it was getting a pointer from X: it isn't. This lynx is
>running on a console tty, no X involvement whatsoever.

Actually, you discussed the two separate cases of Lynx running on the
console and under X.

>>_Graphical_ user interfaces have graphics, that being what the word
>>means. Text interfaces don't. There are some curious edge cases
>>involving the line-drawing characters and whatnot, but there you go.
>Your 'curious edge cases' should point you to the fact that you're talking
>about a continuity, not a set of discrete properties.

Tell me something I don't know already.

>>>So, when I run the command line on a text-mode display, it's text mode.
>>>When I run it under a framebuffer, it's a GUI. Right.
>>No; it's a text mode interface either way.
>Even though I can display a bitmap in it?

I must have missed that in the bash documentation.

>Which is where I agree with you: substituting icons for words does not a good
>interface make, and I'm sure you can reel off a number of examples where that
>is the case. But you're missing my point: the icon paradigm is a far more
>powerful one that a text-button one.

Clearly, but I can only go by what's actually out there; and what's
out there are little buttons with pictures that might as well be words
and little buttons with pictures that change (in the way that words
might.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk