[Gllug] doing GPL/opensource work while working?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 14:31:38 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 03:22:07PM +0100, Walid wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> can you please point me to a contract agreement that was on slashdot/advogato
> sometime last year.. it was about "when you are involved in an open-source
> project, but at the same time your employer wants to be part of this project!"
>
> What happens if you leave the Job?
> How can you protect your work against the little print Clauses, and NDAs?

It is pretty standard for a contract to include clauses that say
that your employer owns the IP rights for anything you do that is
related to the business you work in, while you work for them, often
even if done in your own time, from home.

Most employers are pretty understanding about disclaiming any
interest in open source projects that they really aren't interested
in, that you do in your own time, if you ask them in advance.

I can only really see the problem where you happen to write
something that later turns out to be useful to your employer, who
then wants to restrict its availability.

--
"You are entitled to think what you like, but if you post it here and
 people don't agree with you, you will feel the Hot Gritty Traffic Cone

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk