[Gllug] doing GPL/opensource work while working?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Oct 4 16:19:50 UTC 2001

On Thursday 04 October 2001 15:30, you wrote:
> >can you please point me to a contract agreement that was on
> > slashdot/advogato sometime last year.. it was about "when you are
> > involved in an open-source project, but at the same time your employer
> > wants to be part of this project!"
>
> Make sure it is already under a strong license such as the GPL (and
> copyright someone other than you); then the _only_ way you can
> co-operate is to produce stuff under the GPL.

Not quite. As an employee, you have no say what license code you produce is
under - this isn't in your contract, this is the law. Now, if your employer
wishes you to do work on a project, they have two options. The first is to
allow you to comply with the license, in which case the work you do may be
redistributed. Or they don't, in which case it can't. The fact that they
allow you to co-operate does not give you authorship rights to your code.

Now, working on something in your spare time as well as at work also presents
a problem, in that you are potentially subject to trade secrets /
anticompetition clauses - this _is_ (probably) in your contract; it isn't
law. However, the law is fairly clear. If your were involved with the project
before your current employment (especially if your involvement in the project
was what got you your current employment ;), then there are no problems, and
your employer has no rights over your private coding time for the most part.
However, if you are involved in the project subsequently, and/or your
involvement in the project is part of your work, then you may have a problem
and be subject to anti-competitive clauses, for example. If the Author of
your code (your employer) has seen fit to give it away under the GPL, then
this probably isn't a problem, since it would be hard for them to claim
damages. However, if they haven't, then you have a real problem: namely,
discrimination of authorship of the code: what is yours, and what is your
employers. The courts would probably err on the side of the employer in this
instance, and you would be breaking the GPL.

As always, consult your lawyer ;(

Cheers,

		Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk