[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 15:07:18 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:40:27PM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Solaris on my boxen at work - well, it's a company standard for some
> >strange reason.
>
> I've been wondering about this -- what do you do (the company in general,
> not you specifically) when people send you documents in MS format? Yes,
> Star Office handles most of them now, but it's only recently that it's
> done so, and it still doesn't catch them all. ISTR that Sun used to use
> FrameMaker internally for documentation, but I guess that's changed now.
>
> I can't imagine it being politically acceptable to have a Windows box on
> every desk...
>
> Tet

At a previous place of work the Unix people used to use Wordperfect v6
on Solaris which read Word docs <6, until people started to send Word 97
files which it could not read. When told that Wordperfect would not be
upgraded they then used "strings" on these documents or simply ignored
them if that did not work. Text is not so hard to write when you try.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk