[Gllug] Fun with PPTP and Proxy-ARP bridging firewalls

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 00:27:42 UTC 2001

Rob Andrews wrote:

> This is the peculiar thing: GRE over IP tunnels are enabled.
>
> With all firewall rules disabled, it doesn't work either. Which is leading
> me to become very, very confused.
>
> Is there some sort of parameter I should pass to 'ip' to allow GRE or
> something?

Not as far as I remember.

I have IP tunnelling, GRE tunnels overs IP, and broadcast GRE over IP in
the machine I use as a PPTP server. My PPTP server allocates the client
an IP address on the local network, and does proxy arp for that client.

You must have GRE packets allowed to reach your PPTP server.
You must have your PPTP server set to route packets.

It is possible that GRE packets are blocked by your ADSL router - check
with Demon.
Read the VPN-Masquerade HOWTO - it may well have stuff applicable to
you.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk