[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 20:23:18 UTC 2001

"Jackson, Harry" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The score so far on the distribution front. I am also collating a list of
> the names of who is using what so that it may be handy if you are ever
> looking for specific advice about something. I will post it later. So get
> writing to me and let me know what you are using.

I see no reason for this to be off list:

Work:

AIX (4.1.5, 4.2.1, 4.3.3), mostly in SP2 clusters
Siemens Reliant Unix and DC/OSX
Amdahl UTS (bet you don't get another of these:)
OS/390
VM
Red Hat 6.2
SuSE 6.2
Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98

Home:

Red Hat 5.2, much upgraded, main workstation/server/VMWare host
Red Hat 6.2 firewall
FreeBSD 4.3-REL playing
Windows NT4.0 my original server, rarely used now
SuSE 5.2  I found a 386 laptop in a box when tidying up and decided to
see if I could get it to run anything. This was the only thing I could
find which would install (Slackware 7 wouldn't, somewhat to my
surprise). Uptime currently 175 days but it really doesn't do anything:)
It's also the only thing on the network still using 10base-2.
I had OS/2 once but I threw it away in disgust.

Plus some machines on my network which aren't mine: RH 5.2, 6.0, Win2K,
Win98.

and virtual machines which don't all run all the time:

Red Hat 7.0
Definite Linux 7.0 (now dead RH derivitive by Jason Clifford)
Red Hat 5.2
Solaris 8
OpenBSD 2.9
DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1.1