Cheap Pentium sytems (was: [Gllug] ADSL recommendations )

Nick Hill nickhill at email.com
Thu Oct 11 10:44:11 UTC 2001

Check out
http://list.auctions.yahoo.com/uk/23411-category-leaf.html

P90-P133 base units with no H/D or ram go for under £20.

I just bought 3 Elonex P120 with USB @£14 each. Ideal for USB ADSL router/ low load web server.

I never realised USB systems can be got so cheap! USB cards alone are worth £15! I will install Peanut linux on a couple and give them to friends. (I have a couple of spare 512Mb drives and 72pin SIMMS to match with them.)

To make installation quicker, I will make an image of a master hard drive.

I was going to give my friend an old CD-duplicator, re-configured to run linux. Unfortuanately, it has a TXpro chipset (re-badged by Protac/ PC Chips) - a broken implementation of an ALI 15x3 chipset. It has scrambled 2 hard drives in the last 2 days. Definately for the bin! No wonder the CD duplicator made sooo many coasters!

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk