[Gllug] Linux for schools (project run in Luxembourg)

Ben Edwards ben at videonetwork.org
Sun Oct 21 11:57:46 UTC 2001

Went to a Luxembourg Linux Meeting Thursday and saw a presentation about a
project they are doing in local schools, they are basically installing a
Linux server and stuff on PC.s using samba, webadmin and multi-casting
software they wrote to allow disk images to be sent from a master PC to set
up a whole classroom (eg. 1GB takes 9 minutes for an unlimited number of PC
on school network).  The webadmin is customized and allows email accounts
for students to be easily set up (Including Bulk upload).  They also
install dual-boot Linux Windoz on PCs (Have to use windows as part of
syllabus ;( ).  This is a great way of promoting Linux, in Luxemburge at
moment and I am interesting in making this project more global.

Thought this may be of interest to you.

Got this from one of the organizers, check out the presentation:

Here are a couple of the URL's whe talked about (most are
unfortunately not linked to by the main page, we definately should get
that one re-organized):
The presentation: http://www.lll.lu/linuxday.pdf
Technical doc: http://www.lll.lu/TheDoc
LLL Cd, unpacked (i.e. individual files): http://www.lll.org.lu/Software/lll/
LLL Cd, ISO image: http://www.lll.org.lu/Software/lll.iso (attention, large)
In the following day's I'll translate the main page
(http://www.lll.lu)
Regards,
Alain (alain at linux.lu )

* Ben Edwards                                +352 091 429995 *
* Homepage                http://www.gifford.co.uk/~bedwards *
* i-Contact Progressive Video    http://www.videonetwork.org *
* Smashing the Corporate image     http://www.subvertise.org *
* Bristol's radical news            http://www.bristle.co.uk *
* PGP : F0CA 42B8 D56F 28AD 169B  49F3 3056 C6DB 8538 EEF8   *

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk